Pet containment is one of the unavoidable responsibilities of every pet owner. There are several regulations put in place to reduce instances of pet attacks and homeless dogs. It used to be difficult to contain pets especially dogs that naturally feel the urge to run and explore strange environments. However, advancements in technology have made it much easier to restrict pets from straying away while offering them the opportunity to enjoy maximum exercise and play. Wireless Dog Fence or in other words Wireless Pet Containment System is one of those advanced products are already available in the market.
Here is a detailed review of PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System which is one of the most popular products used today for pet containment.
Features and Specifications:
The main aim of wireless pet fence is to restrict dogs and pets in general from crossing a given boundary. PetSafe Containment System comes with a list of effective functional features to accomplish this aim. The basic features are a transmitter that sends signals to a receiver worn on the dog’s neck. Some of the features exhibited by this wireless fence include the followings:
- Large Cover Area – One of the main aspects to consider when buying a wireless fence is the total circular area that can be covered. The PetSafe wireless fence comes with a half-acre area (180-foot diameter) within which the pet can safely play. This circular area is adjustable and can be reduced depending on existing space in your home.
- Water Resistance – The receiver worn on the dog’s neck is designed to withstand water splashing and rainy conditions among other weather elements. This makes it convenient and effective even in rainy weather and when traveling. The 6V battery is safely sealed and provides sufficient power for whole day protection.
- Safe Static Correction – A wireless dog fence basically works by delivering a static charge capable of muting the pet’s movement for a few minutes. While there is an industry cap on the amount of charge delivered, some may expose your pet to potentially harmful currents. This is not the same case for PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System. It delivers a safe amount of static correction charge and takes only a short time to recharge. The dog will not experience any long-lasting effects and will be back to jumping in only a couple of minutes.
- Lightweight Design – The transmitter is 8 inches by 9 inches while the receiver measures 1×2×1 inches. It is light on the pet’s neck and features an adjustable collar that fits perfectly on dogs of any size.
- Portable – It’s a portable system and you may bring the transmitter, collar, and flags anywhere you want to set up a contained area for your pet.
- Low Battery Indicator – When it’s time to change the battery, the receiver collar will alert you.
- Multiple Uses – The transmitter can work with several receivers without adding any extra component. Those with two or more dogs will simply need to buy receiver collars and use the same transmitter.
There are many other features evident in the PetSafe wireless containment system. This wireless dog fence comes with a user and training manual as well that helps in quick installation and trained up your dog. However, it may be important to contract a specialist for effective distance calculation and installation.
How it Works:
Once the wireless pet containment system set up and activated, the electronic dog fence communicates with a special collar worn by your dog which contains a lightweight receiver. When your dog nears the fences trigger zone, the fence controller sends a signal to the receiver in your dog’s collar in the form of an audible tone. If your dog continues through the trigger zone, the collar will emit a mild static pulse, which will train the dog to stay within the boundaries that you’ve set up.
Through training, your dog will realize when it is approaching the border of the electronic enclosure, and learn where the boundaries are at. After training is complete, your dog will know its limits, stay within the safe containment area, and no longer enter the fences trigger zone.
Some dog owners are concerned about the static shock emitted by the collar when the dog wanders too far into the trigger zone. But for your dog, the stagnant pulse is startling, neither painful nor harmful. It is similar to shuffling your feet on a carpet and getting a static shock from touching a piece of metal. In the case of your dog, this containment system simply discourages from going past the borderline.
Some Advantages of PetSafe Wireless System:
The advantages of the PetSafe system are quite clear and easy to identify:
- It offers a wider adjustable distance and the same transmitter can be used for many dogs.
- It is also lightweight and delivers a moderate static correction charge only enough to immobilize the pet for a couple of seconds.
- It is safe for all pets weighing 8 pounds or more and has a quick install manual.
- The battery performance is high and allows seamless protection all day long.
- The design is waterproof and perfect for any kind of weather.
- The receiver collar produces a beeping sound as a warning when the dog is approaching its boundary. This works effectively in speeding up learning and the pet will soon recognize its free play area thus reducing correction frequency and saving battery life.
Limitations of PetSafe Containment System:
While the benefits are many, this product has a few limitations as well:
- The battery performance is quickly dented with each static correction and this may need a couple of extras especially during the training period.
- The Wireless Pet Containment System doesn’t work well at the sloped yard. Wireless signals of this device are blocked if there are hills or steep changes of elevation in the yard.
- It is a precautionary measure to use batteries that will only deliver the correct amount of charge without causing any negative impact on the pet’s health.
- The Pet Area cannot be changed into a square or rectangle shape. A variety of factors, including terrain, topography, and metal objects may affect operating range.
PetSafe is a revolutionary pet protection concept that offers ultimate convenience and safety. The wireless transmitter is inconspicuously located at a central part of the compound, it releases signals at a frequency of 17.5 KHz. The receiver’s static correction is activated each time your pet tries to cross its boundaries and recharges quickly to prevent any escape attempt. It is one of the best products available in the market and comes at an affordable price.
Finally, we can say, for a flat surface, PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System is absolutely phenomenal.